Our new weekly installment of baseball fun centers on the greatest plays outside the lines. Each week, we are going to bring you the top player and fan plays relating to foul balls and anything that happens outside the lines. For the week of April 27-May 3, who’s Got Balls?
1) Rule #1 when on a date: DON’T EMBARRASS YOUR DATE. This guy epically failed to adhere to that rule. For the second week in a row, a foul ball may have led to a shortened courtship.
2) Speaking of beer. This is how you DON’T lose your beer while catching a foul ball.
3) Mom’s get all the credit for being able to juggle the kids and all that malarkey. CLEARLY that’s a gender stereotype as these two dads proved beyond all doubt that dads can handle the kids while doing other things:
Here’s Exhibit A:
And here’s Exhibit B:
Case closed. Thank you, gentlemen.
4) Whether this guy was a Cardinals fan or a Cubs fan seems to still be up for debate. Regardless, it wasn’t pretty:
5) I loved watching Nolan Ryan when he was playing. The man was a genius on the mound. Turns out he’s got one very warm heart too. Magic’s got nothing on The Ryan Express:
6) Our class act moment goes to this guy who as the announcer states, “did the right thing” by giving the ball to a younger fan. Way to go!
7) This is a new one on us. A Foul ball creates a geyser. You just gotta see it to believe it:
8) Yup. This is gonna leave a mark. This poor fan apparently wasn’t pay attention, and learned thee hard way to “Keep your eye on the ball”…literally.
Hopefully she’s okay:
9) Not all great foul ball plays are catches. Sometimes NOT catching a foul is the smartest move a player can make. Check out Matt Holliday’s anti-play on a foul ball in order to prevent a run from scoring:
10) Nothing new about broken cameras—and windshields and computers and pressbox windows and walls and …–but this one is all about perspective. This about as close a 3D experience as any fan will get:
OOPS! Moment (by us): We dropped the ball last week, and missed an interesting near-brawl over a foul ball. Young men learning something we aren’t sure they should be allowed to get away with…at least the one young man needs a lesson in manners. Here it is:
Have a story or video you’d like to have included in this series? Got a picture or video of a family member embarrassing themselves over a foul ball or making an incredible catch? Email us at email@example.com and it’ll probably be included in our series on foul balls and other plays outside of the lines.