Our new weekly installment of baseball fun this week centers on the greatest plays outside the lines. Each week, we are going to bring you the top player and fan plays relating to foul balls and anything that happens outside the lines. Got Balls?
1) At the Detroit Tigers/Padres game 4/11: This kid in the upper deck catches a foul ball. What makes this oh so very cool? The fact that he actually caught it, straight-up, no help. Future MLBer? Probably.
3) I chose the name “FoulBallz” for a reason. It echoes the craziness we all see and, to some degree, want to be a part of when a foul ball (or home run ball) comes within our vicinity. The things we do to try to snag a ball. I’m pretty sure, though, that “planking” is illegal (perhaps not in his locale?) I agreed with the commentators until I heard one of them say, “Probably not worth going on the field during the game.” Yeah. Okay. Says the guy who now hobnobs with the pros and gets to announce games, try being a regular fan. I can say with absolute certainty: it was definitelyworth going on the field…
4) This one will make the guy the butt of jokes for months probably. Did you see this beer guy get back-ended by a foul ball? Kudos to him. Doesn’t look like he spilled a drop when he reared back in pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHsSyEwiB0
5) Ya know that Klondike bar commercial? The one that has actors and actresses proclaiming: I’d do anything for a Klondike Bar? Let’s apply that concept to baseball fans: This is one of the many things we’ll do for a foul ball. Why are we so crazy? Mad scramble:
6) Unless you’ve been under a baseball this week, you heard the amazing tale of how Magic Johnson not only caught a foul ball, but also gave it away basketball style. That makes him a stand-up guy in our book. Check it out:
7) Yeah, this is a duplicate of an entry of the PWIB Notes series, but it’s worth putting here too because it is a foul ball and it is cool. Pretty sure she’s an early candidate for a Gold Glove:
8) Who doesn’t love the idea of snagging a bat? A WHOLE, UNBROKEN bat? This guy, this guy is one lucky fella. We should all be jealous, and so luck:
9) This is another one we feel is worthy of being mentioned again: Check out how excited a fan is to recover the score sheet of an announcer and how embarrassed the announcer seems:
10) Sure, this isn’t a foul ball, but it’s technically out of play/dead ball once the fan touches it, but this one is kind of annoying. It’s not a “great catch”, it’s quite lame, so why MLB decided to label it as such is beyond reason. The fan clearly moves out of the way of the ball; she’s afraid of it. All we see is a scared fan who stuck out her glove and accidentally caught the ball. But you decide if we’re being too harsh on her:
Have a story or video you’d like to have included in this series? Got a picture or video of a family member embarrassing themselves over a foul ball or making an incredible catch? Email us at email@example.com and it’ll probably be included in our series on foul balls and other plays outside of the lines.