The 2014 MLB season continued to not let us down. We say that as if that’s even an option. We all know it’s not. It’s one of the many things we love about “our” sport. Along with the usual dramatic plays, there were some very colorful things too. And I’m all about colorful…and off-color. Here are our Previous Week in Baseball (PWIB) Notes chalk full of on-field and off-field drama and angst, just like we like our baseball.
Here are the FoulBallz.com Top 10 (or more) PWIB “plays” for the week of June 1 – 7, 2014—the good, bad and ugly, you decide which:
1) We wonder if Derek Jeter is just getting tired. He’s kind of old for a position player after all. Cuz these things just don’t happen with him. He never losing touch with what’s going on in the field…apparently there’s a first for everything:
2) Oh Fernando. Oh poor, poor Fernando Rodney. The crooked hat is bad enough. And the inconsistent pitching is another bad enough thing. But really, dude? The wrong jersey too? And it results in a delayed game? We get how a rookie could do that. But you’re a LONG way removed from rookie mistakes. Or so we thought:
3) So…Did you miss the weirdness that was the Red Sox – Indians game? Yup! The ghosts following the Red Sox ARE still around. We are POSITIVE the Red Sox are being plagued by phantoms of a certain player past; a new curse has started. And, dare we say, alive and kicking too. Weirdness just seems to follow the Red Sox this season. This game is no exception.
4) Remember, we say baseball, but that includes the female counterpart softball, and this play is well worthy of inclusion in this list. A walk-off strike out? You betcha!
5) Robinson Cano. To the majority of Yankees fans he’s a greedy turncoat. But to at least one “stand-up” fan (you’ll see why that’s an almost funny pun in a second), Cano has earned some respect, and was given a standing ovation of one:
6) Well now. We were sure we saw every possible way of pitching in a pro baseball game. We were clearly fooling ourselves. Did you happen to see this Japanese league pitcher’s…um…pitch?
It’s hard to not watch again, isn’t it?
7) Broken bat on a whiff? That’s another new one on us. But Marlin Byrd, of the Phillies, has shown that such a thing is possible:
8) Um. Yeah. We understand that Cubs fans have very little—if anything—to get pumped up about, but this…well…we got nothing for this one. The dude’s just out of control. It should be easy to make some snide sarcastic comment, but we think the fan does a better job making a fool of himself, then we could ever hope to:
9) Whoa! You know the saying, “Hell hath no fury like…Jon Niese scorned”? If looks could kill.
10)Maybe, JUST maybe, if the Tampa Bay Rays did a little less horsing around in the dugout, they may not be the worst team in the MLB. Come on. Ever the poor haphazard Astros have a better record. Just saying:
11)And finally…If this guy was at that crazy and wicked long Red Sox – Indians game we mentioned above, we could understand, but he’s not. Was his game THAT boring?
12)Nori Aoki can’t seem to catch a break these last two weeks! First he gets hit in the most sensitive of places for a man, then this:
First his nuts, then his noggin’. Poor guy!
This one is straight from us! Yup. While at the Max Scherzer bobble head Giveaway game, we and the others around us (and we had our two kids with us, so you can imagine how much we “enjoyed” this) were berated by an obnoxious—mainly due to excessive alcohol consumption—Blue Jays fan. This happened after he made one simple slip of the tongue and called one Tigers fan a “motherfucker”. It was over for the guy. Karma’s a…
We hope and wish everyone could have a long and loving relationship like these two Tigers fans. The lovebirds celebrated 65 years together. Yes. 65. Way to go you two!
Have a video or picture you feel should get mentioned in our weekly Top 10+? Send us the link or pic with your information and we’ll consider it! Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.