Foul Balls: Plays of the Week
Our new weekly installment of baseball fun centers on the greatest plays outside the lines. Each week, we are going to bring you the top player and fan plays relating to foul balls and anything that happens outside the lines. For the week of June 1 – 7, let’s see who’s Got Balls?
1) As if anyone needs any more reminders about the dangers of foul balls, but here’s yet another cautionary tale. Say good bye to that laptop!
2) Nobody can deny that EVERYONE participating in a baseball game—fans, players, media, security, concessions, etc.—have to be ready at all times. This security guard was ready, with a helmet and very quick self-preservation instincts.
3) How often do we see (and seen) a fan snatching a ball out of the air barehanded while on a phone? Never gets tired does it?
4) Hey. Whether we want to admit it or not, we ALL want to catch a foul ball. That goes for Padres security people too. And this security guard is NOT going to give up the gem he caught. No way. No how.
5) Here’s a two-fer. Foul ball nails the catcher AND the umpire. Yes. Definitely a foul ball two-fer:
6) Bartolo Colon is back in our top 10 lists. This time for a foul ball. Well, not exactly. He’s here because of the reaction his teammates had TO a foul ball.
7) We don’t know what to say about this. Fans get hit all the time, but this hit gives us a whole new perspective on fans being hit.
8) Ouch. Just ouch.
9) HOW is this possible? The angle doesn’t seem possible. But this IS baseball and one this is certain: We always need to expect the unexpected.
10)In light of the death of another great baseball legend, Don Zimmer, we have included these as our homage to the late great man:
The helmet. Who doesn’t know the story behind this? Foul ball.
More on that helmet and Don in general:
How about the Pedro/Don fight?
A late addition to our PWIB notes for last week:
#13? White Sox catcher Tyler Flowers LOOKS like he horribly flubbed a throw, but this odd action was actually an intentional grounding. Dude. This is NOT the NFL. But if it works it works:
Reminder: PLEASE pay attention at games! If you’re a parent, pay special attention. As parents we all know it’s hard to split attention, but at least bring a glove and be wary of where you sit. You can use our app to help you locate the WORST places for foul balls too, thus helping to protect your young. As much as we LOVE foul balls, they are dangerous. Be careful!
Have a story or video you’d like to have included in this series? Got a picture or video of a family member embarrassing themselves over a foul ball or making an incredible catch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and it’ll probably be included in our series on foul balls and other plays outside of the lines.