Our new weekly installment of baseball fun centers on the greatest plays outside the lines. Each week, we are going to bring you the top player and fan plays relating to foul balls and anything that happens outside the lines. For the week of May 25-31, who’s Got Balls?
1) Seriously! What is it with Carlos Gomez and foul balls the last couple of weeks?!?!? Here, he hits a foul ball. The ball boy hands it to a girl. Another girl pouts. The girl with the ball gives the Gomez foul ball to the pouting girl. What in the world is it with him and foul balls and young fans?
2) Tugs of war are generally cool, but this one had the potential of being painful for someone. This is the second bat example of the week. Check of these guys are they battle over a foul bat:
3) Oh nuts! Literally. Right in the sensitive privates, poor Kansas City Royals outfielder Nori Aoki took a foul shot (double pun intended):
4) Pretty sure the “razzing” this San Francisco Giants ball boy got wasn’t justified in any way. The ball clearly took a bad bounce. Regardless, the ball boy himself was clearly not happy with his performance fielding the foul ball:
5) This officer of the law may wish to reconsider his career direction. And that San Francisco Giants ball boy may be able to learn from him as well. Check out the soft touch he has in this barehanded snag.
6) Here’s proof that girls can make incredible diving foul ball catches too. Nearly hitting the fence as she dives into the dirt. Nicely done!
7) San Francisco Giants fan goes “commando”? That’s what the announcers say…and it was almost a “JINX!” situation (they narrowly avoid that potential catastrophe) when they said “commando”. This gu make a very nice one-handed catch. And his kid loves it.
8) Chicago White Sox Marcus Semien led off the week with the first of the “ball” breaking foul ball hits. Just watch. If you dare. We feel your pain, Marcus. All too well.
9) We like the analogy of a stone skipping over water. Thankfully this was something she could laugh off. About 3 inches south and we doubt there would have been any laughing. Phew.
10)Never been near a foul ball, at least close enough to catch on? Here’s an awesome nearly first-hand close-up of catching a foul ball, and this fan has some mad skills. This happens at an NCAA game, but that doesn’t take anything away from how sweet the catch is. The coolest catch happens near the end of the video. We like the first instance in the video too, since the young man who gets it, gives it to another boy. Check it out:
11)We’re a fan of ball hawks. So much so we are (not intentionally ironically) sponsoring the Ballhawk Fest 2014 Homerun Derby in Washington, D.C. this year. So here’s a little extra something about ball hawks, which is kind of touching, since he’s a cancer survivor: 16-year-old Milwaukee Brewers fan Brad Selz snagged foul balls from back-to-back batters. We don’t have the odds on that, and can’t get accurate with a whole lot more details (who was pitching, right-handed/left handed batter, seats, real attendance, etc….Yes, calculating foul ball odds is hard work!), but it’s impressive nonetheless.
Reminder: PLEASE pay attention at games! If you’re a parent, pay special attention. As parents we all know it’s hard to split attention, but at least bring a glove and be wary of where you sit. You can use our app to help you locate the WORST places for foul balls too, thus helping to protect your young. As much as we LOVE foul balls, they are dangerous. Be careful!
Have a story or video you’d like to have included in this series? Got a picture or video of a family member embarrassing themselves over a foul ball or making an incredible catch? Email us at email@example.com and it’ll probably be included in our series on foul balls and other plays outside of the lines. Continue the conversation on Twitter @FoulBallzMLB.