Our new weekly installment of baseball fun centers on the greatest plays outside the lines. Each week, we are going to bring you the top player and fan plays relating to foul balls and anything that happens outside the lines. For the week of June 8 – 14, let’s see who’s Got Balls?
1) Oh boy. We are guessing that the Royals have an opening for a ballboy or ballgirl. This ain’t pretty. Here’s the quick version: Ballboy fields fair ball. Then doesn’t field foul ball.
2) THIS is one more reason why baseball fans are THE GREATEST fans in sports. Just check this out. Cubs fan misses foul. Marlins fan catches it gives it to Cubs fan. Cubs fan then gives it to the Marlins fan’s son! Does it get any better than that?
3) How about this “Two-fer”. We are, as you might have realized, obsessed by foul balls. They are wicked and wickedly cool. They don’t behave like regular baseballs, hit or not. Here’s another point of proof of this:
4) Every now and again, we come across a video ro story that is out of the ordinary. This is one of those. Turns out that Mets may have been screwed over. You decide:
5) We weren’t completely sure where to place this, but since the first part of this story involves a foul tip. Soe take it for what it is. Here, Gerald Laird not only gets nailed with a foul tip, but then ends up on the ground from a bat swing. Not a good day for Gerald Laird.
6) Daddy got us a foul ball! HUGS ALL AROUND!
7) Remember up top there? Our number one with the Royals ball boy? It is clear the ball girls this season are way better. Here’s a Red Sox ball girl who is a candidate for an MLB contract!
8) More foul ball family celebration; this time for a Phillies fan:
9) This isn’t anything new, but who doesn’t like to see fans make fools of themselves on national television?
10)This guy deserves every bit of teasing he gets. How does one miss a pop up foul ball that one doesn’t have to move for…AND miss it when you have a glove?!?
11)Um. Why was Rosenthal even going for this foul ball?
12)Giants President and CEO Larry Baer snags a foul ball at a game! Rememebr when Nolan Ryan did that? Yup. Same results. He gave it to a kid. What a nice guy!
Reminder: PLEASE pay attention at games! If you’re a parent, pay special attention. As parents we all know it’s hard to split attention, but at least bring a glove and be wary of where you sit. You can use our app to help you locate the WORST places for foul balls too, thus helping to protect your young. As much as we LOVE foul balls, they are dangerous. Be careful!
Have a story or video you’d like to have included in this series? Got a picture or video of a family member embarrassing themselves over a foul ball or making an incredible catch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and it’ll probably be included in our series on foul balls and other plays outside of the lines.
Continue the conversation at @FoulBallzMLB