The 2014 MLB season continued to not let us down. Along with the usual dramatic plays, there were some very colorful things too. And I’m all about colorful…and off-color. Here are our Previous Week in Baseball (PWIB) Notes chalk full of on-field and off-field drama and angst, just like we like our baseball.
Here are the FoulBallz.com Top 10 (or more) PWIB “plays” for the week of April 13-19, 2014—the good, bad and ugly, you decide which:
1) Yet another great snag by a ball girl! But not to cheers, rather some jeers. This young lady made a great play. Regrettably, she shouldn’t have touched the ball at all. What she thought was a foul ball turned out to be a fair ball. But there’s another early candidate for a Gold Glove. Regardless, the running score: Ball girls 3, Ball boys 0.
2) Who says baseball isn’t entertaining? Half the fun is seeing what fans will do, particularly for a ball. Like this guy who decided he was a bit too hot and decided to cool off AND get a ball.
3) Puig apparently has received death threats. Not from Cuba, but from a Mexican drug cartel involved in human trafficking. Something doesn’t add up here. At any rate, let’s hope the kid isn’t too shaken up and it doesn’t hurt his play too much.
4) Our “What is happening to America?” moment belongs to the grotesque poll results by Harris Poll this past week. The poll claims that 35% of Americans prefer the lazy, finite, play-either-offense-or-defense-(also known as HALF a game)-once-a-week-and-call-myself-a-professional-athlete, “sport” of football. For the 30th year in a row! MLB came in a distant second in the poll. So what this tells me is that Americans have gone from enjoying thinking games that have the potential of never ending because they are a battle between players and teams to enjoying watching lazy people who have a finite number of plays, on a finite field (step out of bounds and the play is dead versus jump into the stands if you have to to get the out); that Americans prefer “athletes” who don’t play both offense and defense and only play ½ a game once a week. Lazy. Used to be we were a country of thinkers. Apparently not anymore? Yeah. That turned into a diatribe, didn’t it?
5) Blue Jay Maicer Izturis is out on what I’ll call “Pulling a Zumaya”. Remember Joel? The guy who tore up his cannon for an arm helping someone move into their place? Yeah. This is probably more embarrassing though.
6) “Frozen” may be the best Disney animated film ever. And you know it’s up there when MLB players start singing songes from it. Way to stay loose and keep it fun!
7) Our “AAAWWWWW!!!! THAT’S SO SWEET!!!!!!” moment is a tear jerker folks. See what happens when this soldier surprises his wife:
8) What I love about baseball (and hockey and basketball) is that players play offense and defense (unlike the wimps in the NFL who play ½ a game once a week because they are either offense or defense, rarely both.), but I think Pierzynski may be taking it to the extreme as he catches the pitch…while he’s batting.
9) Another naked ball. Does anyone else find this odd, two balls in two weeks? Are the balls being monkeyed with by the pitcher and/or catcher? Is Rawling cheeping out on material, are at least stitching? Is there a conspiracy to be uncovered? You decide.
10) Mr. Met was apparently a threat to national security at one point in his existence. While this didn’t happen this week, it was released this week, so I’m including it here.
11) This list needs at least one more, because this is freaking nuts! Did you see the picture of Astros prospect Delino DeSheilds Jr. after he got hit in the face with a 90 MPH fastball at the Double-A level? Don’t think anyone can begin to express the pain he must be feeling.
12) Okay. There are two bonus ones this week. Ya gotta see this little fella. Baseball’s gotten a bit squirrely with instant replay, but this is taking the issue too literally. This is just nuts.
DISHONORABLE MENTION: @MLBReplay sucks. The idea behind it is to make sure calls are made more correctly, but if the folks in New York can’t figure it out properly, then it’s a pointless system…which IS slowing the game even more. This call is proof that instant replay needs to go. The Red Sox did, as the title says, get hosed on this call.
Have a video or picture you feel should get mentioned in our weekly Top 10+? Send us the link or pic with your information and we’ll consider it! Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.